We see you as more than a number
We still believe in the American dream. We are dedicated and experienced in navigating the changing tides of the immigration system. We know where you want to go and we can help you do it.

The Law Offices of Shelle-Ann Simon, PLLC, Immigration Law Attorneys in Houston, TX, Representing Your Rights

It’s no secret that America’s fabric is woven with immigrants from all corners of the world. As an immigrant in the United States, you deserve protection and rights granted to you by the constitution and immigration law. We can help you navigate the ever-changing legal landscape of immigration law and look out for your best interests!

Get help with your immigration case when you contact the Law Office of Shelle-Ann Simon today. Call 281-606-0800 to schedule your first appointment, where we will go over your case and advise you on your options and how our firm can help.

Our Services
Our Services

What Is Immigration Law?

Immigration law covers all the legal aspects that are involved with coming to visit, live in, work in, or study in another country. You may need an immigration lawyer to help you apply for a visa, petition to have conditional residency changed to lawful permanent residency, become a U.S. citizen, or sponsor a family member to come to the U.S. At the Law Office of Shelle-Ann Simon, PLLC, our practice areas include:

  • Family immigration
  • Marriage-Based immigration
  • Naturalization
  • Asylum
  • VAWA
  • U Visa
  • T Visa
  • Employment authorization
  • Immigration waivers
  • Deportation defense
Client Success Stories

What Are the Options for Immigration?

Immigration into the United States requires a visa. There are several types of visas, depending on your specific circumstances and who, if anyone, is sponsoring you:

  • Student visa
  • Work-sponsored visa
  • Fiance visa
  • Marriage visa
  • Tourist visa
  • T visa, for victims of human trafficking
  • U visa for those with criminal knowledge that may be helpful to U.S. law enforcement
  • Religious worker visa
  • Military-sponsored visas
  • NATO visas
Meet The Attorney
Hait Family Attroney
Meet The Attorney
Shelle-Ann Simon, Esq.
Managing Attorney

Attorney Shelle-Ann Simon is an immigration, family law, and personal injury attorney in the Houston, Texas area providing 10 years of legal experience to her clients. Mrs. Simon has lived in the Houston area for over 25 years.

Mrs. Simon was born in Kingston, Jamaica, and lived there before emigrating to Texas with her family as a child. She attended Baylor University in Waco, Texas, and received a BBA with a double major in Marketing and International Business. Soon thereafter, she went on to receive her law degree at Thurgood Marshall School of Law. While in attendance at Thurgood Marshall, she was on the Dean’s List and also received the prestigious Mickey Leland Fellowship to live for a semester in our nation’s capital, Washington, D.C., while working for a member of Congress. While there, she was able to experience firsthand how our laws are made while serving and making a direct impact.


What Are Some Challenges That Can Arise in Immigration Cases?

Many people come to the United States every year and are able to follow the procedures and have no trouble getting their applications approved. However, there are sometimes complications that can arise that can lead to delays or having your application denied. A common issue is an error in the paperwork. There are many forms to fill out in the immigration process, and you’ll also have to provide a lot of support documentation and proof of identity. If you forget to sign a paper or submit a document, it can mean your case is delayed or you have to start over.

Another common challenge is if you are deemed inadmissible to the United States. The government has a long list of exclusionary criteria for immigration, and if you fall into one of these categories, your application will be denied. However, it is possible to apply for a waiver in some cases, and that’s something an immigration attorney can help with.

Why Choose Us

  • Personalized AttentionWe strive to ensure that each of our client’s gets our full attention and that they are well-informed and involved throughout their case. We know that each case and client is unique, and we focus on representing your rights and interests in every situation.
  • Experienced Across All Aspects of Immigration LawImmigration law is all about understanding the various options available for immigration and matching up the one that best fits your needs and situation. Our team has experience with everything from family-based immigration to T visas, so we can advise you accordingly.
  • Clear CommunicationWhen you’re dealing with immigration, it’s important to know exactly what is going on. Our firm prioritizes clear communication between our attorneys and our clients to ensure everyone is on the same page. We can also help you access translators and other services if you need help with English to be able to be an active participant in your case.
  • Compassionate ServiceWe understand that coming to another country — or facing deportation — is an emotional situation, and we provide compassionate counsel every step of the way. With our firm, you’re not just another client. Understanding our clients on a deeper level ensures we can represent them to the best of our ability.
  • Honest RepresentationTrust is key in any relationship, and that includes the attorney-client relationship. We know that you’re trusting our firm to protect your interests and fight for your rights, and that’s why we’re always honest and open with clients about their options and what’s going on with their cases.
  • Satisfied ClientsWe know At the Law Office of Shelle-Ann Simon, we have a strong track record of satisfied clients. We take pride in being able to display their sentiments on our testimonials page, and we work hard to ensure that we are creating happy, satisfied clients with every case we take on.

What Happens If an Immigration Petition Is Denied?

Having your immigration petition denied may be the worst-case scenario, but it’s something that happens on a regular basis. It’s important to speak with an immigration attorney as soon as possible, as you may have options to appeal. If your application was denied on grounds of inadmissibility, you can ask for a waiver. You may also be able to try to immigrate under another category, such as seeking asylum.

Latest News & Insights
Why Should You Hire an Immigration Lawyer?
Why Should You Hire an Immigration Lawyer?
Learn More
What is the Difference Between Immigration Lawyer and Immigration Consultant?
What is the Difference Between Immigration Lawyer and Immigration Consultant?

Immigration Assistance Whether you need (...)

Learn More
Can I Travel While My US Naturalization Application is Pending?
Can I Travel While My US Naturalization Application is Pending?

If you’ve decided to apply for nat(...)

Learn More

What Are the Benefits of Hiring an Immigration Attorney?

Hiring an immigration attorney has many benefits, as you’ll have someone who is experienced in immigration law advocating for your rights and guiding you through your case. Immigration law is challenging and complex, and it can be very difficult to navigate on your own, and even something as small as a mistake in the paperwork can mean you have to start completely over. Working with an attorney simplifies the process and lets someone else tackle the difficult parts.

The Law Office of Shelle-Ann Simon, PLLC, is located in Houston, Texas, less than 1 mile from Spring Valley Village City Park and a 12-minute drive from Memorial Park. The George Bush Intercontinental Airport (IAH) is located 27 miles away. Our firm serves clients in Houston and the surrounding areas.

If you have questions about immigration, don’t wait. Call 281-606-0800 to speak with a member of the legal team at the Law Office of Shelle-Ann Simon, PLLC. We have years of experience helping clients with every aspect of immigration, from applying for a visa to facing deportation, and we’re here to help. Schedule your first appointment to talk with an attorney about your situation and find out what help may be available for you.

Frequently Asked Questions
What is a Green Card?

Having a Green Card means that you have been granted permanent residency status in the United States. The original cards given to those who attained this status were green, which is where the name comes from. Someone who has a Green Card is able to work in the United States and can sponsor family members for immigration in some cases. You can gain Green Card status through family-based immigration, such as marrying a U.S. citizen, or through work or other immigration options.

How long is a visa good for?

How long a visa is good depends on the type of visa. Being granted a visa is a way for a foreign national to be able to lawfully enter and stay in the country. There are work visas, student visas, and other visa options to fit different circumstances. For example, a student visa can be good for up to 5 years, while a T visa is usually only good for 4 years. You can find the expiration date on the visa itself. It is possible to renew a visa in many situations, but you need to start the process well before the expiration date to ensure there is enough time for it to be processed.

What is an employment authorization document?

An employment authorization document, also known as Form I-766 or a work permit, is a document that allows immigrants to work legally in the United States. An employment authorization document is required for most immigration statuses that are temporary or conditional, but it is not required for Green Card holders or naturalized citizens. An employment authorization document is eligible for renewal as long as you continue to meet the conditions. If you need to renew your employment authorization document, it’s best to start the process at least 6 months before it expires, as it can take several months to process.

Can an attorney help me if I’m being deported?

Absolutely! As soon as you are aware that you are being deported or removal proceedings have been started against you, you should contact an immigration attorney immediately. An attorney may be able to help you fight deportation. There are deportation defense options such as seeking asylum or claiming undue hardship that might help you to be able to stay in the United States. An attorney may also be able to help you with leaving voluntarily before being deported or staying out of a detention center while you wait for your removal proceedings to be finalized.

How long does it take for a visa application to be processed?

Immigration applications and petitions can take months to years to be processed depending on what kind of visa or status you are applying for. These times vary depending on the number of applications in the system, what field office you are working through, and other factors, such as staffing. The U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services website has a tool that lets you look up the average processing time for each specific visa by field office to get a better idea of how long your application may take to move through the system. An immigration attorney can also help you by ensuring the paperwork is done correctly and filed in a timely manner to help avoid delays.

What is ICE?

ICE is the common acronym for U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement. This department was founded in 2003 and combined elements of the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services and the Naturalization Services departments. ICE is responsible for immigration enforcement and removal proceedings and Homeland Security investigations, and it also provides support for the Office of the Principal Legal Advisor.

Can I have an interpreter at my USCIS interview?

If you are applying for entry into the United States or have to renew your current visa, you may have to go through an interview process. This is a required step for those using marriage-based immigration, but other visa applications also require it. If you are not confident in your English abilities, you are allowed to have an interpreter come with you. However, you must make these arrangements on your own. If you arrive at your interview, and the interviewer doesn’t believe that your English ability is strong enough to go through the interview, it could be rescheduled.

Who is eligible for naturalization?

Becoming a naturalized citizen gives you the most protections and rights that an immigrant can have in the United States. It’s not an easy path to take, but it is a rewarding one. To be eligible for naturalization, you must be at least 18 years old and you have to have been a permanent resident of the United States for the past 3-5 years. The minimum is 3 years if you are the spouse of a U.S. citizen, but it jumps to 5 years for everyone else. You must also pass an English proficiency test, pass the U.S. civics test, not be otherwise inadmissible to the United States, and swear the Oath of Allegiance.

Free No Obligation Case Evaluation