If you are wondering how to check your immigration case status online, don’t worry. Here’s a quick guide for immigrants.
When a person immigrates to the United States, they have several possible roads to obtain permanent residency or citizenship. However, after completing the application process, there is usually a long wait before you can get any benefits.
So, to avoid impatience, how can you check your immigration case status easily? Well, luckily USCIS provides a number of tools just to answer that question.
An easy online tool to check my immigration case status
The USCIS Case Status Online option is a simple tool that allows you to check the status of your immigration case online. It is fast and efficient and helps monitor the stage each application is at, calculate processing times for different USCIS service centers, and assess a possible adjudication date for the immigration petition.
To use it you need to have your application number or receipt to hand. This is the number you received after you filed your visa application with USCIS on Form I-797, Notice of Action, notifying you that your petition was received. There you were provided with a case number, which is what you should now use to check the status of your case.
What is the USCIS application or receipt number?
USCIS assigns and issues a unique 13-digit case number to each visa application filed. This is the receipt number, or application number, found on your Form I-797.
The first 3 characters of your receipt signify the particular service center where the request is processed. There are 4 USCIS service centers that handle visa applications. These include WAC, EAC, SRC, and LIN. For example, applications sent to California will have a receipt number beginning with WAC.
Step by Step: How to Check My Immigration Case Status
Follow the steps below to check the status of your USCIS case virtually.
- Go to the USCIS Case Status Online option.
- Enter your 13-digit receipt number in the box provided
- Make sure you enter your number correctly with the 13 letters printed on the receipt notice. Enter the number without spaces. The field is not case sensitive, so you can enter your number in upper or lower case.
- Click the “Check Status” button and wait.
- Once the page refreshes, you will see information about your case. You can sign up for an account to receive email notifications whenever the status of your case changes.
Can I check my immigration case status over the phone?
Yes, you can also check the status of your immigration case by calling 1 (800) 375-5283 and following the automated prompts. Make sure you have your receipt number handy.
However, we warn you this is an automated service and you will not be able to communicate with an operator. All you will receive is an electronically recorded message indicating the application submission date and the approximate time frame for approval.
Unfortunately, these numbers are usually very busy so you have to be patient and call again later if it doesn’t work at a given moment.
Can I verify my immigration case status by email?
Yes, you can also email the appropriate USCIS Service Center with your inquiry to check the status of your case. Please see the specific email addresses for your center below:
- California Service Center: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Vermont Service Center: email@example.com
- Nebraska Service Center: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Texas Service Center: email@example.com
Note: Case status verification may not be available for certain applications moving to the National Visa Service Center (NVC).
USCIS Electronic Immigration System
The USCIS Electronic Immigration System is an online system that allows you to submit and track the processing of certain forms that USCIS allows to be filed electronically.
Such forms that qualify for the USCIS electronic immigration system include forms I-90, I-131, I-140, I-539, I-765, I-821, and I-907. Outside of these forms, Forms I-539 and I-526 have limited availability, but applicants who have already filed these forms through the USCIS electronic immigration system can:
- Respond to a request for evidence
- Check Immigration Case Status
- Profile Update
- USCIS Electronic Application Portal
- USCIS Electronic Applications Portal
The USCIS e-Filing Portal is a resource for applicants with certain case inquiries and service requests, such as:
- Case outside normal processing time
- I did not receive notice by mail
- I did not receive the card in the mail
- Change of address
- Accommodations for dating
- Typographic error
Applicants using the USCIS electronic application portal must include basic information such as the case number, filing date, documentary evidence, and other relevant information about the case. USCIS will respond to the applicant’s inquiry via email.
How do I check current USCIS processing times?
USCIS maintains a detailed list of processing times on its website. Applicants only need to know the following to check their processing times.
- Petition / form type
- processing center
- Classification or basis of presentation
- For example, at a California service center, an H1B visa holder filing Form I-129 and seeking a change of status would have a USCIS processing time of 2 months.
If you are in need of immigration legal advice, do not hesitate to contact us! At the Law Office of Shelle-Ann Simon we have wide experience in immigration proceedings, family law, and personal injury and have successfully defended our clients for over 10 years. Contact us through our website or give us a call at 281-606-5362!